Holidays in Portugal: what is the weather and temperature in Lisbon in January?
Weather in January in Portugal warm and Sunny thanks to the mild subtropical climate. Country "the setting sun" is located on the Iberian Peninsula and is considered the most warm among the countries of the European continent.
On the territory of Portugal includes several climatic zones, but even in the coldest weather the temperature here never drops below 5 degrees.
What is the weather like in January in Portugal?
January is a great time to visit this country, because weather conditions in this month are very comfortable compared to the Russian winter.
The average temperature of air and water
In Portugal, January is considered the coldest month of the year. Mostly the weather is affected by the remoteness of the settlements from the Atlantic coast, passing here, as well as proximity to the mountainous terrain.
The average temperature in cities in the North is +14 degrees during the day and about +6 tonight.
According to statistics, a month in the North, there are about 14 rainy days. The water temperature in the ocean is 10 degrees. In the North also, there is a cold wind, on some days reaching speeds of up to 8 m/s.
In the South of Portugal the average temperature is about 17 degrees in the day and not more than 8 at night. Rainy days no more than a dozen per month. The average water temperature in the southern resorts of Portugal rarely reaches temperatures above 18 degrees. The average wind speed in the southern regions of the country is about 3 m/s, however on cloudy days can reach gusts 8 m/s.
The weather conditions in different parts of the country
Read also our article about how and how much time you can fly to Portugal from major cities of Russia.
- Lisbon is considered to be one of the warmest European capitals. The temperature here is due to the proximity of the ocean. Here reigns a mild Mediterranean climate. The average day temperature is about +15 degrees at night to 10 degrees.
- The province of Algarve, located in the South of Portugal, is considered the warmest region of the country. The resort is surrounded by mountain range, which protects the area from strong winds and contributes to the warm weather throughout the year. In the Algarve there are about 300 Sunny days a year. The unique climate due to warm currents in the ocean, so the temperature in January never drops below 15 degrees in the afternoon and 10 at night.
- In the center of the Algarve is the city of Faro, situated on the banks of the RIA Formosa. As in the Algarve, it has a warm Mediterranean climate, and the air warms up to 16 degrees.
- The island of Madeira is located just 500 km from Africa, however, belongs to Portugal. The proximity to the African coast greatly affects the climate of the island. And the warm ocean current makes the temperature of the air and water is higher than in other parts of the country.
- The Northern city of Porto in January is quite cold and damp. The wind is blowing with gusts to 6 m/s and rain in January for most of the year. The average day temperature is around +10 degrees and at night to +8 degrees.
- Evora is a major city in the East of Portugal. Its climate is influenced by Atlantic waters and the cold Canary current, so the city's frequent rain and fog. Air temperature day and night differ significantly from each other and are +15 and +3 degrees, respectively.
The average temperature in Madeira is not lower than +17 and +14 degrees, day and night, respectively.
Many travelers choose Portugal for a meeting of new year holidays, which are celebrated here with a special scale.
Advantages and disadvantages
For sightseeing and leisurely walks through the streets will approach the capital and the Northern cities of the country. The tourist season will start soon, therefore the prices for tours to museums and other attractionssold with a significant discount.
Pricing in the low season is markedly reduced and in hotels and restaurants.
In addition, the rest in January – a great opportunity to visit ski resorts and engage in recreational activities such as Windsurfing. Opportunity beach holidays largely have a southern city of the country, where there is a chance to catch Sunny and warm weather.
However, the cons of this journey too. For example, wet and quite cold weather in the Northern cities of the country can ruin the experience of the holiday. And at the end of December - early January, possible price increases in connection with New year. Despite a holiday in Portugal is still considered a relatively budget option.
How to dress?
If you are traveling to the North of Portugal, take autumn things:
- Raincoat or waterproof jacket;
- Warm sweater, jumper or cardigan;
- Waterproof shoes, sneakers;
- Warm jeans;
- A raincoat and umbrella;
- A light hat and gloves – in the evening the air temperature significantly decreases.
A little bit warmer in Portugal in November, which will allow you to enjoy a beach holiday in the South of the country. Read about the weather this month here.
If the goal of the trip will be the South direction, take with you:
- A jacket with a hood, leather jacket;
- Any comfortable shoes: light shoes or sneakers;
- Sweater and cardigan;
- Dresses for women, lightweight pants and shirts for men;
- Umbrella and raincoat;
- Swimsuit or swimming trunks - maybe you are lucky with the weather.
For excursions in the mountains or for skiing you will need insulated tracksuit and suitable shoes.
What to do this month?
In spite of the slightly reduced temperature in some regions in the country, there is plenty of entertainment for every taste.
At all the resorts of a continental part of Portugal even in high season the waters of the Atlantic are not warmed up above 20 degrees. In winter the swimming and beach season is possible only on the island of Madeira, here the water is heated to 17 degrees, the holiday season is open all year.
Also in the Algarve beach holiday is possible – there are less cloudy days and more opportunities to get a nice tan in the middle of the European winter.
What to do and what to see?
Portugal - culture-rich country with an ancient history, so even in mid-winter there is the opportunity to relax for the most demanding tourists.
Lisbon, known worldwide for its ornate cosy streets with small cafes, attracting tourists for its major attractions - the majestic castle of Saint George, built at the turn of the old and the new era, and the Cathedral at the Cathedral square - a famous example of Gothic architecture of medieval Europe.
The second largest city in the country the Port draws its architectural diversity: here you will be able to visit as huge in size the Church of San Francisco, and the charming Ribeira district, represented by lots of colorful, almost rural, houses.
To fly to Europe and save the most on airfare, accommodation and vacation, read this article.
North of Braga is the centre of Christian pilgrimage of Portugal and the rich, primarily buildings of a religious nature. Coimbra – the abode of the creators of the wealth of the earth is a local center of shopping,numerous antique stores, boutiques and bookstores will not leave you empty handed.
Best of tourism for South city, no doubt, is Faro. The incredible beauty of the beach, portside restaurants with all the wealth of the South Portuguese cuisine is dearly loved in the direction of our compatriots.
Also gourmets can enjoy the vacation in Evora , the capital of Portuguese wines and cheeses. A real city-Museum, located 140 km from Lisbon, surrounded by rich vineyards, a fascinating tour which can give you even the locals.
Outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy world-class ski slopes of Serra da Estrela. The mild climate of the plateau Meseta gives a memorable quality vacation.
Serra da Estrela is the only one in the country, offers 9 ski slopes of different difficulty levels, and children's snowpark and ski school.
Holidays and festivals
- January 1 – New year. The arrival of the new year is celebrated with rich feasts and noisy festivities. Each festival is accompanied bystraw figures "the old man" and "woman", which is ceremonially burned at the end of March.
- January 6 – Epiphany or Feast of Three Kings. The day of the meeting of the infant Jesus Christ by the Magi is celebrated in Portugal on a large scale: carnivals, parades and themed shows are in each city.
See what the weather is waiting for you in Portugal in January: