What animals live in Australia: photo with names and description
Australia – the continent that for long was in complete isolation from the rest of the world. During this time the continent had formed a favourable living here to living beings ecosystem.
Australia is renowned for its unusual flora and fauna, because most of them are endemic (plants and animals that exist only on one continent).
On the mainland lives about 12 thousand species of living beings, of which almost 9 thousand are endemic. Thanks so much unique flora and fauna Australia is recognized as mainland-reserve.
Representatives of the animal world
The most popular representatives in the following video:
Which live only in this country?
- EMU – large representative of the ostrich family, the value of this animal can reach two meters. Most often these birds live in flocks that are regularly changing their location to find food and water. Female ostriches lay rather large eggs, dark green color, whose weight reaches 500 g, but they need to sit through males.
- Kuzu – nocturnal marsupial animal that lives mostly on the branches of trees. He had an unusually prehensile tail, by which the animal can move from branch to branch. Tailed possum feeds on leaves, bark and flowers, although he is also not averse to eat bird eggs.
- Echidna is a marsupial, much like a hedgehog, in fact it can be quite a lot of differences. Female echidna usually lays just one egg that hatched in their bag.
- The Tasmanian (marsupial) the devil – hunter, known to many by the same cartoon. Animals are mostly nocturnal, and by day, gaining strength in the shadows of the bushes. The Tasmanian devil animal is aggressive, often come into battle with more powerful rivals.
- Kangaroo – an animal whose appearance is unique. It has a short front and a massive back paws which help the animal to move by jumping. The kangaroo tail is extremely strong and long. There are many types of these animals, however, the most common is the red kangaroo. Red kangaroos inhabit groups and willing to contact with people.
- The platypus is a mammal that has a beak like a bird. Despite their belonging to the family of mammals, female platypuses lay eggs. After that, the female incubates them for ten days.
Platypus are born completely defenseless and therefore their first weeks they spend together with mother, feeding on her milk. When the cubs get stronger and older, the female will carry them to water where they learn to hunt small fish.
Animals do not have teeth, their language has two Horny tubercles, by which they consume food. A large part of his life, platypus live in burrows, leaving it only for hunting. Mammals eat insect larvae, worms, small fish.
- Tiger cat, is a carnivorous animal, living in forests of eucalyptus. The paws of tiger cats are well developed, thanks to them they can easily climb trees. Cats eat birds and their eggs, rabbits, herons, small kangaroo. Long cat is able to hunt down their prey, choosing a better moment to attack.
Due to its sharp needles echidna invulnerable to predators, but its meat is a delicacy among the local aboriginal people.
Flight Moscow - Sydney: distance, travel time and much much more - here.
Marsupial mammals: why they occur only here?
In Australia the marsupial mammals outnumber the group of placental animals. However, the rest of the world the opposite is true, the placental animals have large advantages over their rivals – the marsupials.
Due to the isolation of the continent and years of evolution of the marsupials have become the major representatives of the animal world of Australia and has held this position for quite a long time.
The situation began to change with the arrival of civilization, the arrival of humans and introduced animals reduced the population of marsupials. Due to the invasion of the human factor a large number of species of marsupials have disappeared from the faceOf the earth. Currently the marsupial animals are under special protection and live in special reserves and national parks.
The cities of Australia: description of the largest cities in the country in our next article.
Who else here found?
- Big jeltuhay cockatoo is a large parrot that lives not only in Australia but in New Guinea and Melanesia. The bird eats the fruit, seeds and small insects. Is on the verge of extinction.
- The Cassowary is a bird, reaching up to 1.5 m in height. The average weight of cassowary – 80 kg. On the head of the animal is the bone helmet, protecting it from predators. Bird lives in dense forests, it feeds mainly on fruits, berries and small rodents. In ancient times the bird was exposed to hunting, which greatly reduced its population at the present time.
- Besednova birds or salatniki got its name for a reason. In most species of birds have colorful, attracting females of color.
However, Besednova birds left out appearance, so to attract the opposite sex, they learned to build the kind of shelters or towers. The male, whose hut was particularly successful, was rewarded with the location of the female.
Birds often decorate their buildings with flowers, shells and feathers, paint them, use the juice of wild berries.
Hay in the trunk of the car and other features. And interesting laws of Australia are waiting for you here.
to content ↑
A list of unusual and interesting inhabitants of the state
- The wombat is a herbivorous animal with a mind resembling or large rodent, or a small bear, but neither with the first nor with the second, they are not relatives. Like most of the animals of Australia, wombats belong to the family of marsupials, the way of life of the animals strongly resemble ordinary rodents.
The wombat is the largest animal living in holes. Animals have good protection from enemies: their skin is hard, in the back of the torso is "shield", which helps to fend off attacks on Nora.
- Koalas occupy the second place in popularity, after a kangaroo, causing tenderness in their appearance and peaceful nature. Koalas - the relatives of the wombat, however, the first live in trees, feeding on eucalyptus leaves.
The predominant part of his life koalas are conducted in a calm state, "embracing" their tenacious paws of the tree branch. Food koalas are designed to absorb a lot of protein, so the digestion takes place slowly, allowing the animal almost do not budge.
Also, koalas almost do not feel the need in water, they absorb moisture from eucalyptus leaves and dew on them. Koalas are extraordinarily kind and trusting animals. They boldly go on contact with people, allowing you to take yourself in hand.
- Vongo, animals, kind, ningo. Australian marsupial carnivores. Appearance like a harmless mouse, however, nothing to do, vongo with it. Marsupial length reaches only 13cm, so Bongo can be dangerous for small insects which are its prey. Teeth, vongo not like rodent teeth, and her tail covers short wool.
Another unusual feature of the wombat is in metabolism: animal ranks second to the camel in the preservation of fluid in the body, the food the animal has digested quite a long time, and excrement like cubes.
An unusual feature of vongo that it is able to dive into spontaneous hibernation in a situation of shortage of food.
Top most dangerous on the mainland - who should watch out for?
- Mosquitoes of the genus Insects – killing insects that are vectors of three dangerous diseases: dengue fever, encephalitis, Murray valley fever and Ross river. The germs of the virus into the person's blood at the time of the bite, which enters the mosquito with saliva.
- The great white shark. Akin to a sea monster, a shark's jaw is incredibly large and strong, they can easily crack a man. White sharks have been not the first Millennium and during that time they barely evolved, remaining the same "killing machines".
- Saltwater crocodile – one more ancient animals, the history of which arose 230 million years ago. Extremely dangerous and fast predators, they hunt in packs, camouflaged in the murky waters of the tropical reservoirs.
Pride of Australia: unique places, main sights and more - here.