Republic of Mongolia: photos and description of the attractions of Ulan Bator
Unique state, which has maintained its ancient traditions and culture - Mongolia. Attractions of the country is presented mainly of the incredibly beautiful nature and architectural value are not uncommon.
- The Republic of Mongolia on the world map
- Information on the country
- Architecture - photos and description
- The most interesting buildings and structures
- Religious buildings
- Museum complexes
- Natural objects
- What else can you see the tourist?
- Fascinating sights of Ulan Bator
- Mongolian land for 3 days
- Where to go in the summer?
The Republic of Mongolia on the world map
Mongolia is on 18 place in the world by floor space and only at 137 by population.
The country can easily accommodate up to 37 countries such as the Netherlands.
to content ↑
To find Mongolia on the world map need in Asia, and more precisely in its Central part. The country has a land border with only two States are China and Russia. The boundary with the latter is held in the following regions:
- The Altai Republic;
- Zabaykalsky Krai.
Near the border with Mongolia is a large Russian settlement - Irkutsk. Read here about this city.
The country's capital is the city of Ulan Bator, there is the country's only international airport. Bad in Mongolia, not only with air but also with the roads - most of them do not have a concrete or asphalt pavement.
Every Russian can easily find Mongolia on the world map. Surrounded by Russia and China it is approximately on the same Meridian as lake Baikal in the heart of Asia.
The southern part of the country is covered by desert , the Gobi, and the Northern part is lake Hovsgol. From Siberia, Mongolia separates multiple ranges that do not coalesce into a single massif.
To China in the East are located the plains of the Mongolian plateau.
Information on the country
In Mongolia there is no sea, but there are a large number of rivers. The longest of them — the Kerulen. Its length is 1100 km. in the country and lake, of which there are more than 1000. Many of them dry up in a drought.
The largest in Asia is considered the Great Gobi reserve, located in Mongolia. He is under the protection of UNESCO. The country 7 national parks and 11 nature reserves.
The whole territory is divided into 21 aimag. It is the administrative unit corresponding to the status of the Russian regions.
The nature of Mongolia is quite diverse. Together with deserts here you can find taiga forests and steppes. Here is the southernmost point of the permafrost. Fluctuations in temperature here can reach during the year up to 90 degrees.
Read an article about Chita administrative center of Zabaykalsky Krai, bordering on Mongolia.
Architecture - photos and description
Most tourists going on my first trip to Mongolia, have absolutely no idea what to expect from this country. The only Association that POPs up in their minds about this country — Yurt.
A great discovery for travelers in Mongolia is getting its architectural appearance. Rural and urban constructions fit perfectly into the local natural landscape and create a harmonious landscape.
The most interesting buildings and structures
Still the country can meet the Yurt. This is a traditional Mongolian housing is ideal for people in steppe zones. It has a round shape and foldable wooden frame. This design allows it to be disassembled and transported to another place of installation for a short time.
The Yurt was the main type of housing of Mongolian nomads in the 12-13 centuries. In the form of Yurt in the country built many temples. One of them is in the monastery Pasicolan-place. For khans in those days were builtspecial yurts installed on the carts.
The second most popular form of traditional housing in the country were tents and tents, they were used by soldiers and shepherds.
Architecture of Mongolia there are three main styles: Mongolian, Chinese and Tibetan. And all the existing buildings date to different periods and historical epochs.
Predisperse period. At this time, along with yurts began to build wooden and stone buildings. You will find them in the places of excavations of ancient cities. For example, a fragment of the fortress wall and 14-meter high tower Dating back to the period of the Uighur Khaganate, can be found on the excavation of Khara-Balgas.
Structure predispersal period found by archaeologists in other places. The most significant of them include Khatun Hot and bars-Hot. Become familiar with the device of the settlement of yurts and lifestyle of the Mongol period of the 13th century in the historical complex "13 century Mongolia".
The Imperial period. Bright monument of this period is the ancient capital of Mongolia Karakorum. This ancient city is listed as a world cultural heritage and is a place bet of Genghis Khan. The main buildings of the city:
- Palace Vandango. The building is located in the city centre. It was built on an artificial platform with an area of 2475 m In the dungeon of the Palace is the Buddhist temple;
- Stone tortoises. Was established by Buddhist monks from the four quarters of the city. Their shells in ancient times were posted Khan.
China frames Mongolia and bordered with Russia. The exact location of the people's Republic of China on the world map you can read here.
On the site of Karakorum now created a historical and archaeological Museum, called "Kharkhorum".
Revival. This period in the country is the construction of a large number of temples and monasteries.
Among the most important and interesting buildings of this era included a Buddhist monastery Zeggen Honhor Ling. It was built one of the first. Located near lake kukunor.
Another interesting point of architecture is located next to the Karakoram. This monastery Erdeni-Dzu. Both monasteries are built according to the traditional architecture of China.
The Mongolian building traditions can be seen in the appearance of the temple , Batu-Tsagaan Tsogchin. He is an example of this architectural style in the country.
- Postrenaissance. To the architectural monuments of this period include the monasteries, as Soon-hure and tranquil felicity. An interesting object is a mobile monastery Them-Hure, it is located near Ulan Bator.
- Revolutionary period. The construction of the revolutionary period in the history of Mongolia has not taken root in the country. They stand out against the background of the building. Outstanding representatives of this era are the building of the Committee of country radio, mail, and other government agencies.
The modern period. Modern buildings are not much different from European structures, but have their own traditional features of Mongolian style.
The most interesting feature of the architecture of our days in the nation's capital is the Tower of Bodhi. This building has 4 floors divided into two parts and is recognized as the most elegant in Ulan Bator. Made tower in the classical style.
Indian building traditions are reflected in the construction of the stupas Ihtamir, Altan suburgan and others.
Regular flights to Ulan Bator are from Moscow and Irkutsk. Read our article, what items are prohibited to carry on Board the plane.
The main religious structures of Mongolia are considered to be the Buddhist monasteries and temples. Among them:
- The Monastery Of Erdene-Dzuu. One of the oldest Buddhist monasteries existing at present in the world. The building belongs to 1585, but perfectly preserved. She was built on the Foundation of the ruins of Karakorum.
- The Monastery Of Baldan Bereeven. For a long time this monastery was the largest in Mongolia. Lived here almost 1500 lamas. Up to the present day survived only one building and the ruins. Near the temple there is a rock which is preserved in the alphabet Soyombo. Its author is considered by Zanabazar.
- Towhen-place. Ancient Buddhist monastery is located in the Central part of the country near the valley of the Orkhon river. It is a functioning complex. Near it is the cave used by monks for meditation.
Along with Buddhist religious buildings in Mongolia has Orthodox and Catholic churches and Muslim mosques.
- The Zanabazar Museum. Located in the centre of Ulan Bator. His exposition is devoted to the fine arts. Among the exhibits artifacts of the era of the chinggisids. There are religious items, andalso, a large number of sculptures and paintings.
- Bogdykhan. The Museum consists of the winter and summer palaces. The Museum's collection of more than 8 thousand exhibits. Including portraits and regalia of all the Mongolian bogdykhans.
The temple complex, Choijin of Lamin Sum. It is located in the centre of Ulan Bator. Currently it is a "Museum of the history of religion". His exposition is devoted to the Mongol-Tibetan folk art.
Here you can see the iconic things of the Buddhist religion, ceremonial masks. The Museum complex consists of 5 temples. All of them saved the interior of the beginning of the last century.
Going on a trip, you can take out insurance. Read the following article, what types of insurance exist in tourism.
In Mongolia, quite a lot of natural attractions that deserve the attention of tourists. Among them:
- Waterfall Ulaan-Tsutgalan. Look for it on the river of Ulan. The width of the stream Ulaan Tsutgalan is 12 m and the height is 24 m. In hot weather, the waterfall can dry out.
- Lake Hovsgol. It is the deepest lake in the country. It is among the oldest lakes in the world. Next to him is a national Park, there are wild animals. In the lake the rare species of fish.
What else can you see the tourist?
Mongolia refers to exotic countries. Agencies offer travellers various duration tours.
Fascinating sights of Ulan Bator
The guests of the country with its capital starts from the square named after Sukhbaatar. In its center a large monument to this leader. Surround the area of Buddhist temples, the houses of the higher clergy and nobles, blinding in its luxury.
At the entrance to the square stands a monument to Genghis Khan, and on its perimeter stands the building of the Government Palace.
The main attractions of the city, in addition to its main square are:
- Palace of the Bogd gegen. It is located in the Central part of the capital and is built in a Chinese style dated to the 8th-century. The Palace is part of a complex architectural structures. Until modern times many of them have survived only partially.
Gandantegchenlin (Gandan). The most majestic Buddhist monastery in the capital. Stone building dates back to the mid 19th century. Construction with carved walls and tiled roofs perfectly fit into the modern urban landscape.
The monastery is a place of pilgrimage of believers and consists of buildings forming a complex. The monastery created by Buddhist University. There is a structure in the North-Western part of the capital.
- Monument To Genghis Khan. He erected 250 tons of steel. The height of the monument with pedestal is 50 metres away.
Mongolia is located near the largest freshwater lake in the world - Baikal. Read about this pond in this article.
Mongolian land for 3 days
The best option to visit the country in such a short time can be considered a visit to Ulan Bator and Park Terelj.
In the capital of the country is concentrated the largest number of attractions. In the National Park there is a lake of glacial period Hagin-mountain and Buddhist temple of Arabal.
Great interest to tourists is the Gobi desert. But to visit it is in spring or autumn, as the summer temperature there is +58°C, and in winter -45°C. in order to explore the wilderness, you must have special training.
Where to go in the summer?
In addition to these Mongolian sites, in summer you can explore the altars of shamans and to stay in the tent in the area Oskin-Over.
To clear karma in the temple of Gandan in the capital. To get acquainted with the traditions of the Mongols on here passing festivals.
Naadam (Nadom) - the biggest festival in Mongolia.
"The three games of men" - a celebration of men, which includes three Mongolian men's sport: horse racing on horses, national wrestling and archery.
The event takes place nationwide on July 11-13.
You can also visit:
- International music festival "Tourin tower-goon" in June;
- Festival Sand Festival Yak and day Cam in July;
- The festival "Legacy of Genghis Khan", the Festival of kumis "Wonders of Mongolian Airag honoring" and the Festival of horses in August.
Find out more about Mongolia from the video of the popular TV show about travel: