Where Corfu Greece: leisure, attractions and beaches on the island
Wishing to bask in the sun on the sea can choose holidays in Corfu. This little Paradise is surprising picturesque landscapes and rosy welcomes anyone who wants to try the famous gyros or Greek wine, which connoisseurs of meat delicacies associated with kebab.
Map of resorts and beaches on Corfu: where better to relax?
Corfu is located in the Northwest of Greece, with an area of 593 km2. On the island in total there are more than 20 resorts with highly developed infrastructure.
The main differences of the resorts distance from the capital, different types of rest and temperature.
to content ↑
This part of the island is quite remote, but it has its advantages – pebble beaches, steep cliffs, the beautiful sea, mount Pantokrator, and have stunning views.
In the North of Corfu tourists enjoy the resorts and beaches of (name of the main beaches coincide with the names of the resorts):
- Acharavi resort is popular among families with children and lovers of quiet rest. Acharavi is located 50 km from Kerkyra, the length of the beach is 7 km from the beach of Acharavi, tourists can rent umbrellas, chairs and everything you need to practice water sports, including boats, shower cubicles and intended for cross-dressing;
- Kassiopi is a resort with a rich history, attracts tourists with clean beaches, ancient ruins and a Church with a sacred icon. Kassiopi is a small beach with beautiful views of the Ionian sea, it is possible to get cheap deckchair in the shade of the trees or rent a sunbed with a parasol. The Kassiopi beach is equipped with changing rooms, showers, toilets;
Sidari is another resort that attracts families with children, due to the small entrance to the sea, the famous "Channel of Love" it attracts lovers, and clubs and discos on the coast are interested in youth.
The beach of Sidari in Corfu is considered one of the best: it has a well-developed infrastructure;
- Roda is a resort for a quiet, relaxing holiday. Roda beach is one of the most crowded: a comfortable stay is guaranteed, for it created all the necessary conditions – hire sunbeds with umbrellas, where you can change clothes, showers and playgrounds.
To find out what the weather will be waiting for you in Corfu in a particular month, read this article.
Here vacationers rent lounge chairs with umbrellas. Throughout there are showers with changing rooms.
South choose couples with young children, shallow water bathing safe. Resort towns: Benitses, Kanoni, Perama is located relatively close to the airport. The South coast beaches are sandy, for young people there are lovely options, the resorts of Messonghi and Moraitika, different affordable prices.
To stay on the territory of the Greek state, including Corfu, a visa is required. How to get the document, read here.
- The Benitses beach became assimilated and equipped for the resort area one of the first on the island, it is covered with a gravel-sand mixture. If desired, customers can rent sunbeds and umbrellas. There are places for changing clothes.
- The beach of Kanoni , overlooking the mouse island Pontikonisi popular among the locals. On this beach there rental boats and equipment for water sports, so it is not very crowded. A couple of sun loungers with umbrellas rented to guests in nearby hotels.
- The Perama beach features parasols, deckchairs and showers.
- Messonghi beach is 20 km from the island's capital, it received its name from the homonymous village.
- To the Moraitika beach and plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas, they are available for a modest fee, it is easy to find a toilet, shower or place to change. Near the beach there is a river that flows into the sea. From here there are cruises-trips on the open sea.
Messonghi beach is very popular, easy to find everything you need for a relaxingrelaxation: sun beds, umbrellas, showers, changing rooms.
Here are located the resorts:
Dassia. Along the coast are hotels for tourists to rent an apartment will work only on the distance from the pebble beach. The resort is considered one of the busiest: on the coast there are plenty of bars and tavernas.
Dassia beach is well-equipped, however, not always will need to rent umbrellas or chairs, you can sit comfortably in the shade of the trees. Tourists can take the opportunity to ride on a boat. On the coast with a width of less than 10 m everywhere there are showers and toilets;
- Kontokali. Known for its sandy beach which is Blue flag, which guarantees purity and safety. Vacationers admire the yachts are in the Marina. You can use sunbeds and umbrellas for a fee, at the disposal of tourists locker rooms and showers;
- The Golf club. Resort, next to which is a pebble beach suitable for tourists with any income, offers tourists five-star hotels and small family hotels;
- Kommeno. In the village Kommeno is the most chic hotels and luxurious villas. The beach is rather big, it has a calm atmosphere and measured. Tourists can rent sun beds, umbrellas, showers and toilets.
Read our article, how long is the flight from Moscow to Athens, Thessaloniki, Corfu, Crete and Rhodes.
Here are the resorts of Glyfada and Ermones with beautiful coves, waterfalls, cliffs and pebble-sandy beaches. To get to the capital you need to cover a distance of just 15 km away.
Glyfada beach no wonder many travelers call a favorite beach, it is a long and wide strip of Golden sand. The beach is well equipped, there is a tower with lifeguards, tourists can rent equipment for various water sports, comfortable sun beds, large parasols.
Showers and public toilets on the beach of Glyfada are everywhere.
Ermones beach is surrounded by rocky slopes, it can be reached with a steep driveway with stairs. The beach is mostly pebble, but there are sandy areas. Here are rented umbrellas with sun loungers, there is a possibility to take a shower.
The resort of Paleokastritsa is a unique jewel of the West coast with beautiful scenery, it is located in the Bay of Liapades. Palaiokastritsa beach many consider the best, vacationers have a choice: a pebbly and sandy beach are close by. You can rent a boat, deck chairs, parasols. On the coast there are changing rooms and showers.
The choice of accommodation on the island of Corfu is the most diverse. At each resort you can find luxury hotels and housing economy class.
The best 5 star hotel
Corfu Palace in Mpenitses – hotel rooms with the maximum comfort: the apartment has a private balcony and a bathroom with marble finish. The hotel offers its guests to take a massage or treatments with healing sea salt.
The hotel has all conditions for relaxing holidays: it has a pool, steam room and Jacuzzi.
Grecotel Corfu Imperial in Kommeno pleases its guests with beautiful views of the coast. The hotel has the opportunity not only to take Spa treatments, but hair cut and do my hair.
Guests can buy jewelry in a small shop or buy fashionable clothes in the boutique. Pleasant pastime is guaranteed by the tasting of the wonderful culinary masterpieces on the beach. It offers customers a team of professional animators who are ready to organize any event from beach games to musical evenings.
- Corfu Holiday Palace in Mpenitses offers a private steam room and bowling alley. Visitors to the hotel can sunbathe on the sundeck. The resort is served by 4 restaurants offering dishes of Greek, Japanese, and world cuisine. From the hotel Windows offer a beautiful view of the lagoon or the sea.
The main restaurant, visitors can enjoy a luxurious furnished – furniture in the style of Louis XV.
Four stars hotels with "all inclusive"
- Cavalieri Hotel 4 star hotel in Corfu with a Russian-speaking staff is located on the beach. Vacationers can use the free Wi-Fi in public areas of the hotel, sun beds and umbrellas on the beach, gym. This is a wonderful place for families with children.
- Sunshine Corfu Hotel and SPA is 25 km from Corfu town and 100 m from Nissaki. The hotel was renovated in 2015 are available On site Italian restaurant, a bar and a bar-snack. Entertainment note games on the beach, water aerobics, dance lessons and music programs. Suitable for family vacation with small children.
- Blue Princess Beach Hotel & Suites is 20 km from the airport in Kerkyra. Rooms with quality furnishings, free Wi-Fi. The sandy-pebble beach from the hotel you are only 200 m. the Sea is emerald color attracts tourists. If you have small children, you can use Babysitting services.
The menu includes a variety ofenjoy Greek and Mediterranean dishes and drinks, including white, rose and red wines and draught Beers.
- Hotel Bella Venezia is a restored mansion located in the center of Corfu. In addition to comfortable rooms, guests can stroll in the beautiful garden. In the price included Breakfast.
- The hotel Odysseus is located in the most picturesque region of Corfu – Paleokastritsa. Guests can enjoy an outdoor terrace, a cocktail bar and a large pool. The cocktail bar serves premium drinks and unique cocktails.
Read in this articlewhat kind of accommodation you can offer, this information can greatly facilitate the choice.
And to find a suitable accommodation, you can use this form of hotel search. Enter the city, dates of arrival and departureand number of guests.
What to see and do on the island?
On the island of Corfu has a large variety of places where you can be happy to spend time.
For the comfort and entertainment of Corfu, one of the main considered a large water Park, covering 12 thousand m2. In the Park area you will find everything for a relaxing holiday – slides, rides, pools, Jacuzzi. It is well developed infrastructure, it is possible to spend a whole day in the Park from time to time looking in a cafe or restaurant to eat.
The water Park provides entertainment for younger guests. Kids like to ride with a small height of the slides. Adults can go rafting or take a bungee jump, while thrill seekers go for a ride "Kamikaze" and high-speed closed tube. The Park has the opportunity to purchase memorable Souvenirs in the shops or boutiques.
Journey to the island of VIDOS, the diameter of which is less than one kilometer, is the opportunity to come into contact with unspoiled nature, easy to arrange a photo shoot with fluffy bunnies, they are not afraid of people and almost tame.
On the beaches of Corfu are many water sports: water skiing, jet skis, catamarans, canoes or boats; walk to parasailing; bungee jumping; surfing, diving, kite; boat cruise.
If you go to cruise the Bay of Paleokastritsa, you can explore ancient caves, fortress, monastery and see the ship of Odysseus. A good opportunity to explore the seabed appear to be those who will cruise on a boat with transparent bottom.
Visit the capital of the island of Corfu will be remembered for a lifetime. Its old cobbled streets and small squares, Corfu town is like a city of the middle ages. Tourists can walk to the shops to buy Souvenirs and street cafes is a great place to eat.
For young girls the favorite pastime is to swim at the "love Canal", which is near the resort of Sidari. Here the warm sea, and the depth is small, tourists can also perform the same procedure like a ritual. According to legend, sailing on the canal under the arch, you need to make the name of the man she loved, and then he do you have to get married.
Attractions - photos and description
The relics of St. Spyridon are now on the island of Corfu, in the temple which bears his name. The walls are decorated with beautiful wall paintings, gilded figures of saints or angels. The day of St. Luke the Wonderworker, Bishop Spyridon is celebrated on 25 December. Holy relics – the miracle of God, when believers worship them and pray sincerely, they get what they ask for.
Of the attractions in Corfu, it is worth noting the temple of Artemis, built in 580 BC, it is located in the city of Corfu. The structure created in the Doric style, the material for its creation was the stone. The most valuable snippet I think semnadtsatimetrovy pediment with the sculptural image of the Gorgon Medusa. It was discovered in 1911.
To see the artifact in the Archaeological Museum, created specifically to house important historical relics from the temple of Artemis.
MuseumAsian art in Corfu is located in the Palace of St. Michael and St. George. The exposition of the Museum included ceramic, glass, stone, wood and bronze. Visitors can see many different exhibits:
- precious jewelry;
- household items;
- samurai armor;
- musical instruments.
Achilleion Palace – the monument of ancient architecture is located 10 km from the city of Corfu. It was built for Elizabeth of Bavaria, wife of Emperor Franz Joseph I.
The project was implemented by the Italian architect Rafael Carito and German Faro sculptor Ernst Gateroom. In accordance with the wishes of the Empress in the design of the residence was used stories from Greek mythology.
A lot of interesting about the island of Corfu you can learn from this video: