Attractions Latvia: Jurmala, Riga and other
Latvia – a newly independent state in Northern Europe with a population of 2 million people. Capital city – Riga (Riga,700,000 people).
Monetary unit – the Euro. Developed banking, tourism, agriculture.
In addition, Latvia uses its economic capacity transit country, as a bridge between the West and Russia. The climate is temperate-humid.
What to see?
Riga is the main city Latvians
The most famous sights of Riga are:
- The Duomo and Cathedral.Jacob;
- the convent court;
- the powder tower.
In addition, popular:
- bridges of old town;
- Riga castle;
- Small and Big Guild;
- the building on the street of a Small castle called the Three brothers;
- house of Black Cats, black;
- the Swedish gate;
- Alberta street;
- aviation Museum, Vansu bridge and Riga radio and TV tower.
The Pearl Of The Baltic Sea In Jurmala
Jurmala, Jurmala or rather, is actually a suburb of the Latvian capital located 25 km to the West of it on the coast of the Riga seaside.
Nearby are the protected nature places, in particular, the national Park Kemer to river Lielupeand shallow lakes Kaņieris, Slokas, Dunieres, Aclys, Putters, Acacis, Cachelines dikis and Babite.
The most popular transport here – urban train on the railway line "Tornakalns-Tukums II" with a length of 65 km. In city there are 14 platforms and stations. A ticket from one end to the other worth half a Euro.
In Soviet times Jurmala was considered "all-Union health resort" with an abundance of boarding houses, rest houses and summer pioneer camps. Now the city-resort of national importance, with a population of around 55,000.
In this village is quite a high percentage of Russian-speaking residents (more than half). Jurmala is famous for its beaches with white quartz sand. In addition, it and the surrounding area are:
- show complex "Dzintari";
- dacha-Museum of Yan Rainis and wife Blasii, and a state summer residence №2, Leonid Brezhnev;
- modern country residence of the President of the country.
Daugavpils (Daugavpils) – the second largest after the capital, a cosmopolitan city of Latvia (population 90,000).
Located 200 km South-East of Riga near the border with Belarus and Lithuania. Major cultural, industrial and transport paragraph of the Baltic States.
One of the key attractions of the city are the bridges over the Daugava and other rivers – Unity train, through Mills and Lauzes. Also deserve the attention of tourists:
- cathedrals of the Immaculate Conception of the virgin Mary and St. Peter, synagogue, Borisoglebsky Cathedral;
- Unity house;
- square Pumpurs;
- the Dinaburg fortress and prison "White Swan";
- ski club Eglukalns Stropcka and recreation;
- high-tech cinema "Silver Screen" for 1200 spectators;
- museums of paleontology, military equipment, athletics, draughts and chess, water utility;
- sculpture of a cat, bat, turtle, deer;
- cast iron lions;
- bas-relief of S. Mikhoels;
- monuments to the defenders of the city, the ghetto;
- monument "Seagull".
Jelgava (Jelgava) is located 42 km South-West from Riga. The historic capital of Courland, the center of the local automotive industry and food industry, large railway station, the number of population is comparable to Jurmala.
Great aesthetic value are:
- jānis čakste Boulevard and the pedestrian zone street Texas;
- the alley of Love and waterfront Lielupe;
- Mitavskiy Palace;
- tower of the Holy Trinity and old town;
- Zemgale Olympic centre;
- the cathedrals of St. Simeon and Anna, Mary Immaculate Church.Anna;
- Latvian belgosuniversiteta;
- museums of fire fighting equipment, South electric networks of a mental hospital, railway, history and art, the crypt of the Dukes of Courland.
Every year there are festivals of sand sculpture, bread, honey and milk.
Liepāja (Liepaja) – sea gateOf the Republic of Latvia, the ice-free port in Latvia, the third largest "city where the wind is born" (75000 inhabitants). Located near a vast lake of liepāja and Tosmare.
Currently, there is a special economic zone. The ethnographic center of the Baltic region of Kurzeme, the westernmost town of the state, there is an airport.
Sea port consists of 3 parts: winter harbour, the main area of the Mall and Osmanskogo channel.
There are the following cultural, educational and religious objects:
- Philharmonic and Symphony orchestra, concert hall "Boardwalk";
- chamber concerts in the restaurant "Barons Bumbiers";
- green theatre "Put vejini", Luna Park, circus tent;
- Church.Trinity and St. Anna (organ music), Church SV.Academia (the most spacious Catholic Cathedral), St. Nicholas Orthodox naval Cathedral;
- museums of the city, the occupation, the Jewish community, a garrison guardhouse, the plant "metallurg", the house of craftsmen, the layout of the Inn yard with underground caches.
Other places of interest include:
- district of mystical anomalies Karosta;
- memorial of Charles XII and Peter I, medieval barns, city Council;
- monuments of drowned fishermen, freedom fighters, a memorial Board of the heroes of the Russo-Japanese war;
- station pigeons;
- city water tower.
Ventspils (Ventspils) has 45000 inhabitants and is located in the North of Latvia on the Baltic sea at the confluence into it of the river Venta. From here ferries to Russia, Germany and Sweden. There are the following attractions:
- Lutheran Church. Nicholasherkimer century;
- Vindavsky order castle, built by the Germans;
- attraction-the narrow-gauge railway with a length of 2 km;
- the beach is Blue flag.
There is the higher school, the Riga branch of tekhuniversitet, the faculties of the Baltic international Academy, Department of the higher school of pedagogy and education.
Rezekne (Rezekne) – Eastern Latvian town "on seven hills" and the seventh largest with a population of 30,000 people, the centre of Latgale. Surrounded by lakes Lubans, different, Bucket. Industry is represented by:
- the brewery "DFD";
- Assembly of milking equipment, LLC "Larta 1";
- processing of grain products;
- a slaughterhouse;
- Metalworking company "LEAX Rēzekne";
- production gasregulating and welding equipment "LATION";
- the enterprise for the production of tubular products "Rigamet".
Act Catholic school, Polish school, speech therapy boarding school and a number of universities.
Located near Ludza (Ludza) with a population of 10,000 people. As a noteworthy objects are:
- the mass grave and the monument "Grieving mother";
- Holy assumption Orthodox Cathedral;
- archaeological sites and ancient settlement;
- Ludza castle ruins;
- chapel Tadeusz;
- the post office building.
Bauska, kuldīga, cēsis, Sigulda are considered peripheral towns with its color and charm.
Bauska (Bauska) has 10,000 residents and lies at a distance of 65 km South from Riga. There are 2 Breweries, canneries and textile shop. Attractions:
- Folk theater;
- the exposition of the national Museum of machinery;
- the Biron Palace (architect Rastrelli);
- vintage Bauska castle.
Kuldīga (Kuldiga) – a town in the Kurzeme region with a population of 13,000 people, located 150 km West of the capital.
It is a well-preserved old town, founded by the Teutonic knights in 1242 on the site of Golyginskoe castle. Most valuable is the medieval urban fabric.
The most famous among the visitors for sight – low, but very wide (250 m) waterfall on the river Venta.
Cēsis (Cesis) has 15,000 inhabitants. Founded in 1326. The city is the homonymous railway station. There are 2 ski descent. Attractions:
- the Cathedral of St. John (The Baptist);
- the castle of master of Livonian order (Cēsis Livonian castle).
Cēsis (Cesis), Latvia (overview video of the city)
Sigulda (Sigulda) with a population of 10,000 people known abroad thanks to the modern bobsleigh track and the Gauja national Park, within which it is located. Located on the route E77 50 km on northeast from the capital and 20 km from cēsis.
- the ruins of the Order castle;
- Turaida castle;
- Palace Writer;
- cable car.
Welcome to this hospitable land of amber, fish, beer and windmills, the edge-found in Europe!