Where is Cape ROCA on the world map, and Portugal: geographical coordinates, photos
Most visitors to Portugal tourists eager to get to Cape ROCA. Its rocky shores are washed by the waves of the Atlantic ocean. Find Cape ROCA on the map of Europe is very simple. It is located at the westernmost point of the continent.
Cape ROCA on the world map and Europe
The Cape has the second name — Lisbon. Translated from its Portuguese name "Cabo de ROCA" - "the Great Cape".
Read our articleon how to get to Portugal from Russia, and how many hours lasts the road.
to content ↑
Geographic coordinates for Mys: 38°46'51" North, 9°29'54" West longitude. They are carved on a stone stele, installed on top of a cliff. The Cape is located to the West of Lisbon. He is part of the national Park Sintra-Cascais. Distance from the capital of Portugal Cape ROCA is 40 km away.
The Cape is a rocky plateau, the end of the Serra de Sintra and is part of the Iberian Peninsula.
How to get from Lisbon?
To get to Cape ROCA on public transport in two ways:
- the first route starts in Lisbon and runs through Sintra;
- the second route starts in Cascais.
Despite the short distance between the Cape and these cities, direct service between cities there.
Distance from Lisbon to Sintra is 23 km. Distance from Sintra Cape ROCA is 18 km away.
For travel to the Cape is possible to rent a car. The offices of companies involved in car rental, there are in every city. To the Cape leads to highway 247. From Lisbon to Sintra or Cascais can be reached by train. Of these cities, you can continue the trip to the Cape by bus No. 403. Interval of its motion is 1.5 hours.
The ends of the Earth - photo
Giving a description of the promontory of the famous Portuguese poet Luis de Camões spoke of it as the place where the land ends and the sea begins. Cape is included in the program of many tourist routes traveling in Portugal.
Read the following article, what other places of interest in Portugal is worth a visit.
Cape ROCA was called Promontorium Magnum by the Romans - the"Big toe". Later Europeans began to call the Cape of Lisbon. Popular this place has become a tourists only in the late 70-ies of the last century. During this period, the Cape ROCA was identified as the most Western part of Europe. Before this point was recognized as Cape Finisterre in Spain.
With Cape Rock related several legends. One of them is dedicated to the bear and her cubs. It tells the story of how they refused to leave the Cape in the period when the glaciers began to retreat from the coast. This angered the Gods, they turned a bear and cubs in the rocks.
The average height of the coastal cliffs of the Cape is 140 meters. Boasting views of the vast expanses of the Atlantic ocean.
The turquoise waves of the Atlantic ocean with the noise of breaking on coastal rocks.
On the Cape there are two pristine beaches. To get to the beaches have narrow paths between the rocks. On top of the Cape there is a platform on which is built the lighthouse. Not far away there is a restaurant and a shop where you can purchase local Souvenirs.
What to see during the tour?
Tourists come to the Cape to admire the local landscapes. They look particularly pretty at sunset. The group tourists can visit the lighthouse. At a local restaurant be sure to try Portuguese wine and the national dish "pastel de Nata".
Decided to stay on Cape tourists can stay in a hotel. A quiet secluded place fills the vitality of the human energy of the ocean. To reserve a room in a hotel bettera few months before the trip to the Cape.
- By the 14th century Europeans believed the Cape Rock by the end of the earth. They peered into the distance of the ocean and were unaware that over the horizon there are other continents.
- In the 16th century on the promontory was built the Fort, which was to protect the approaches to Lisbon from the sea.
- The current lighthouse is not the first, it was built in 1842. Before him stood the lighthouse date of construction is applied to 1772.
- The lamp power of the current beacon is a 1000 watt. His fire is visible for 46 km.
- Winds bring ashore sea salt destroys riparian vegetation. It is in these areas is poorer than in other regions of Portugal.
- On top of the Cape there is a stele with its geographical coordinates. It is made in the shape of a cross, on which is engraved the famous phrase of Louis Camones: "This is the place where the land ends and the sea begins".
Portugal can be visited in the winter, at this time of year in the country is quite comfortable to travel weather. Detailed climatic conditions in Portugal in December you will learn here.
To see a neighborhood Cape ROCA you can in this video: