Where is the meeting of two seas on the world map, North and Baltic?
The North sea on the map formed at the end of the ice age. His "godfather" became the Atlantic ocean, stopuri vast territory in the North-Western part of Eurasia.
Confirmation of this historical fact found scientists exploring the ocean depths and bottom topography.
North sea on world map
The coastline is amazingly diverse: rocks, fancy cut fjords, lowland areas, bays and capes. In this sea of people are active in economic activities (producing oil and gas, fish, shrimp).
It is particularly interesting to spend free time on the coast here is a popular Hiking, Windsurfing, sailing and even beach holiday, although the sea and not among the most warm.
Sometimes I hear German, however, in addition to Germany, another six countries have their own stretch of North sea coast, this:
- The Netherlands;
Going to travel by plane, find out herewhich places on Board are considered to be the safest.
The North sea occupies the territory between continental Europe, Scandinavia and the Jutland Peninsula and the British Isles. Due to a number of waterways (including the English channel) it is not isolated from the outside world, connected with the Norwegian, Baltic and Celtic seas.
Several flowing rivers carry across the Atlantic for their water. These include the Rhine, Elbe, Thames.
The sea area (which includes the Gulf of Skagerrak) – 565 square kilometers. Maximum depth (725 m) accounts for the so-called Norwegian trench along the coast of Norway. Smaller just (15 to 30 m) near the UK. In General the sea is not very deep (100 m), but very irregular in terms of depth.
Extensive shoals, among which the Dogger Bank, side by side with the sharp "dips".
The indicators of salinity (from 32 to 34.5 ppm) is assessed as rather low, due to the addition of sea with freshwater flowing into it from rivers. Yes, and the Baltic sea, with which the Northern common border, also contributes to the "desalination" because its "saltiness" is also quite modest.
By the way, the border of these two seas visually looks very unusual. The fact that the water does not mix is clearly visible in the photo, and in kind. Moreover, the boundary of the watershed of the stress waves with the "lambs" formed in the place where the meeting of the waters of the two seas. Why is this happening? Scientists give several reasons:
- different salinity, and hence density of water (North is much saltier);
- the border runs in shallow water, on a fairly short section, where the mix water is not so easy;
- The Baltic sea is kept strictly in its "framework"because it is, as specialists say, "tidal".
Do not forget before you travel abroad to check their debts. How to do this, read our article.
Interestingly, the North still manages to penetrate into the territory of a neighbor, making the Baltic sea is salty. If there was no penetration, it would have been freshwater.
Climate and water temperature
Thanks to the North Atlantic current, carrying with them warmth, the North sea is almost does not know what the ice. In winter the temperature falls to +2 degrees, during the summer ranges from +12 to +18 degrees. Colder just at the border with the Baltic sea.
In the North sea – the expanse of the winds, they blow mainly from the West and from the South and North-West, bring rain and fog. Because of the activity of the atmospheric processes waves rise to a height of 7 meters, near the coast of Scotland up to 11 meters.
Flora and fauna
The flora and fauna of the North sea closeits composition to how it is represented in the Barents and Norwegian seas, however, has more than these sea number of warm-water forms.
Scientists have calculated that just in the North sea fifteen hundred different animal and three hundred species of plants.
The plant world
Algae presents not only green, but red, and brown forms. Among the most common – fucoid and infection. There are beloved members of the animal world phytoplankton.
Experts attribute the lush underwater vegetation with a relative shallow water and the activity of the winds, which "stirred" water layers and stimulate the growth of marine flora.
The fauna of the sea and the coast represent:
- birds (gannets, guillemots, loons, terns, gulls, cormorants);
- crustaceans (600 species);
- shellfish (mussels, scallops, oysters);
- Pisces (more than a hundred species, including haddock, smelt, saffron cod, rays, herring, halibut, cod, Pollock, salmon);
- mammals (seals, seals, porpoises).
Sometimes these places are visited by dolphins, whales and sharks of several species.
Do you know what animals are found in Australia? Read about the inhabitants of this country here.
Maritime borders - photo
Coastline the sea is 6 thousand kilometers, almost all of it is well mastered and used by humans.
The southern North sea coast is Germany , and the Netherlands. Since space here is low and going under water during high tides, man had to put a lot of effort to arrange. The Dutch, for example, its 450 km of coastline built protective structures in the form of dams, shafts, locks.
Both countries had established on the coast wide network of health resorts with great beaches. Of the most visited places in Germany:
- the island of Sylt is an extraordinarily beautiful nature and generous on the oysters of the sea (the freshest is served in local restaurants);
- island of Amrum – place with a dark piratical past that is also played out in cultural programs for tourists; 16-mile beach, the opportunity to see here the endangered fauna and flora, which are carefully guarded;
- Büsum is a city with many resorts and beaches of different levels, is famous for its unusual holidays (in September here celebrating the Day, and in the last month of summer - a Day of catching crabs and fish);
- St. Peter-Ording – a health resort with over a century of history, offering travelers a full treatment with the use of hydrogen sulfide baths;
- Cuxhaven - the main attraction of this resort is the Wadden sea, gives vacationers the chance during low tide to walk along the strip of the sea bottom (width 2 km), collecting shells, treasure hunts (for the unwary and missed high tide, built a special tower);
- the island of Heligoland is a tiny piece of land with an area of just 1 sq km, is surprising by its beautiful nature tourists who get here by boat or small plane. On the island of the vehicles allowed to use only scooters, even bicycles are banned;
- East Frisian Islands – come here for "exclusive" guests, you can use the bikes of the largest Islands has a railway line, but the sea is, unfortunately, quite cool for swimming.
On this coast there are many wonderful hotels in which to stay among the stars of show business and customers with a high level of income.
In the castles of Germany reigns fabulous atmosphere. Where these ancient buildings, read this article.
In the Netherlands it is also possible to enjoy a beach holiday. The best beaches of this country on the North sea:
- Scheveningen in the Hague is the largest beach of the Netherlands is about 3 km long Coast fully equipped, and very clean;
- Zandvoort is a half hour drive from Amsterdam. This place is ideal for families with children since the coastline is very smooth and the depth is quite small, the beach awarded the Blue flag for its cleanliness;
- the beaches of Texel - feature incredibly scenic views as it is a clean area.
In this place of fallen heroes masterpiece of a film "to reach heavens".
But the best resorts in Belgium:
- Ostende has a high reputation not only in his country but also in Europe. It has 5 beaches with a total length of 3 km, it is possible to get a Spa treatment (indications – diseases of the heart, lungs,of the digestive system, musculoskeletal system);
- Knokke-Heist consists of several villages, has a 12-mile beach, considered the most fashionable Belgian seaside resort;
- De Haan is very cozy, has a huge number of green plantings, flower beds. Near this place there are two nature reserves that are open to tourists;
- De Panne – there are beaches with Golden sand in the immediate vicinity there is a nature reserve with dunes;
- Blankenberge – the place where arriving yachtsmen who have chosen here a convenient harbour. There are regattas, carnivals, festivals colors.
For vacationers at the resort include a lot of different activities, often held festivals.
The rest of the coast
- North shore. Here directly the North sea meets the Atlantic ocean. Water conventional border starts near the island of the Mainland, part of the Shetland Islands, and ends off the coast of Norway.
The Eastern border. In the East the North sea rests on part of the Scandinavian Peninsula, then the Strait of Skagerrak, in the Jutland Peninsula, the coast of which consists mostly of dunes, bays and tiny lakes.
Here are the North Frisian Islands, attracting tourists watt – wide strips of the sea bottom, exposed during low tides.
- The Western part. In the West the North sea adjacent to great Britain. The climate here is milder than in other seas of the same latitude – experts explain this feature by proximity to big island.
See video on the German North sea coast: