World map in Russian: where is Azerbaijan?
Azerbaijan on the world map it is easy to find. This is one of the most amazing countries of the former USSR, located almost on the border of Europe and Asia and has an ancient history and traditions. Familiarity with its amazing nature and unique attractions will give you a lot of pleasant experiences for even the experienced hiker.
Azerbaijan in the world Atlas in Russian
Even if you've never been to the Caucasus, to find this country on the Atlas is quite simple.
Area of Azerbaijan occupies the 113th place on our planet and the surprising variety of its landscapes.
to content ↑
Azerbaijan is located in the Eastern part of the Caucasus and has access to the Caspian sea, occupying a large enough segment of its coast. The state is part of the Middle East and Asia, and, according to some experts, some areas can be attributed to Eastern Europe.
If you prefer to travel by airplane, here you can find detailed location of places in the liners, to choose the most convenient place.
With which countries it borders?
From the East the country is washed by the Caspian sea. Southern Azerbaijan borders Iran to the West – with Armenia, in the North-West by Georgia, and on the North with the Russian Federation. The border between Azerbaijan and Dagestan are part of Russia, is almost 400 km. It passes through mountains, lowlands and the river Samur. Rail, road and pedestrian links provide three of the checkpoint.
It is believed that throughout the country, the ancient people settled more than 1.5 million years ago. Remains of prehistoric settlements were found in Nakhchivan, Gazakh and Karabakh. In ancient times there lived in Caucasian Albania, considered the ancestors of modern Lazhintsev.
By the end of the IV century BC, these tribes began to establish their own state, the most famous of which – Caucasian Albania and Atropatene. In the II century ad the people of Azerbaijan were considered vassals of the Persian Sassanid dynasty – the then-rulers of Iran, but their state was conquered by the Arab Caliphate. It was then, in the VII century BC, in this area first came to Islam.
At this turning point on the territory of modern Azerbaijan, there were several Islamic States, which were ruled by the monarchs of dynasties Salarids, Shirvanshahs, sajids, raevadits and of the state of shaddadids. It was a time of true Renaissance of the country.
Approximately five centuries ago the lands of Azerbaijan began to gradually unite under the management of Shah Ismail Khatai, the subjugated and the Northern and southern regions and made one of the most powerful empires of the Middle East, the Safavid state.
After his death, to expand the territory of the state continued Nadir Shah even seized part of Northern India. However, the death of the ruler led to the disintegration of a huge territorial entity in the Sultanate and the khanate.
In the end of XVIII century attempt to re-unite the land of Nadir Shah, under the control of a single dynasty – in this case, Gajar, considered one of the most notable childbirth of Azerbaijan, led to years of conflict between Iran and Russia, seeking to seize the southern Caucasus. In the end the southern region of the country went to Iran and North remained under Russian jurisdiction. In the USSR, Azerbaijan became a socialist Republic, and the independence gained after 1991.
Find out in our article, do I need a visa to Russians for crossing the border with Azerbaijan.
General information about the state
The area of Azerbaijan is 86600 km2 and the population exceeds 9 million people. The state is the largest in territory of Transcaucasia located at the 91st place in the world in terms of population.
The state is a secular type, butthe majority of its citizens is Muslim and only a small stratum of the population adheres to Christianity or Judaism. The official language of the country recognized Azerbaijan, and the local currency is called the Azerbaijani manat.
Azerbaijan is a unitary state type is a presidential Republic, i.e. its head is the President.
Indigenous Azeris represent more than 90% of the population, the remaining 10% are Russians, Lezghins, Armenians, Talysh.
The flag of Azerbaijan is a tricolour with green, red and blue stripes in the horizontal direction. The red stripe is placed the Crescent and octagonal star of white color. The anthem is called "March of Azerbaijan". The music was written by composer U. Hajibeyov, and the words of the poet A. Jawad. Decoration of the coat of arms became a wreath of wheat ears and oak leaves, a star with 8 angles and fire.
The climate of the country belongs to the transitional type and flows smoothly from temperate to subtropical. Due to the mountainous topography in many regions, causing the presence of high-altitude zones, Azerbaijan has 9 climatic zones: from subtropical to mountain tundra.
The average temperature in July may fluctuate in a very large range: from +5°C in the highlands to +27°C in the valleys; in January the thermometer depending on a climatic belt can drop to -10 and +3°C, respectively. For example, in the area of the city registered a maximum temperature of +45°C, but on the tops of the mountains at the same time may be -40°C.
To start the swimming season in the Caspian sea, find out in this article, at what temperature water is recommended to swim.
In the foothills of the greater Caucasus , precipitation is quite small: not more than 200 mm per year. But on the plain (in particular, Lankaran lowland), their number increases to the annual rate 1200-1700 mm. Often strong winds blow from the North, especially in autumn. The weather is often very Sunny, the number of Sunny days reaches 270 per year. On the plains and in the foothills occasionally there are heavy frosts and subzero temperatures, and snow falls rarely and almost never lies too long.
How to get out of Russia?
To enter the territory of Azerbaijan in several ways:
- Plane. This is the most fast and convenient way. Flights to Azerbaijan are carried out from Moscow, Kazan, Novosibirsk, Saint-Petersburg, Rostov-on-don, Yekaterinburg, Krasnoyarsk, Mineral Waters, Samara. Points of arrival or two to the local airport in Baku and Ganja;
- Train. All trains from Russia followed Baku via Derbent and Makhachkala, going from Moscow, Tyumen and Rostov-on-don;
- Car. Distance from Moscow to Baku a little more than 2000 km, the highway passes through Makhachkala.
Some settlements on the territory of the country buses. The autonomy of Nakhichevan is accessible only through the roads of Iran, you will need an Iranian visa to transit the sample.
If you wish to choose a plane ticket, please use this search form. Enter the city of departure and arrival, the date and the number of passengers.
A detailed map of the country with towns and villages
Since Azerbaijan is a relatively large area, administrative units there are many. So before you go here is to learn more about the device state.
To leave nice memories of this unique country, read this articlethat can be brought from Azerbaijan.
The country is officially divided into 66 regions, 11 major cities of Republican subordination and Nakhchivan autonomy. All the districts in turn are divided into smaller urban and rural municipalities.
To the major areas of Azerbaijan (in the composition includes more than 20 municipalities) include:
- Jalilabad and other regions.
The autonomy of Nakhchivan is bordered by href="http://tour.liketourist.com/strana/kavkaz/armeniya/karta-s-gorodami-na-russkom-yazyke-3/">Armenia, Iran and Turkey. To the cities of Republican subordination consider: Baku, Ganja, Shusha, Shirvan, Yevlakh, Sheki, Lankaran, Sumgait, Mingachevir, Khankendi, Nakhchivan, Naftalan.
Baku is not only the capital but also the largest and oldest city in the country. According to legend, it was founded in the VII-IX century ad, and the name comes from the ancient word "Baga" meaning "God", "the sun." Now in Baku on an area of 2150 km2 and a population of over 2 million inhabitants.
The city is located on the coast of the Caspian sea in the southern tip of the Absheron Peninsula.
The climate of the city is moderate continental, and belongs to semi-desert type. There is rarely rainfall, winters cool and summers hot and very dry, with low rainfall. The backbone of the economy of the city is the oil and gas industry. The city has a lot of attractions: museums, theatres, mosques, churches and other monuments, many colleges and universities.
Although the big cities in the country are not many, they all deserve at least a fleeting excursions. The most significant of them are:
- Ganja. The city is the second largest occupied territory and the third largest in the country. It is located in the North-Eastern part of the foothills of the lesser Caucasus near the river Ganjachay rivers flowing in the Ganja-Kazakh plain. The city is the largest scientific and educational centers of Azerbaijan;
- Yevlakh. It is built on the Kura river and is considered a major rail and road transport hub. Its population exceeds 60 thousand inhabitants, has its own airport, theater works. The backbone of the economy of the settlement was light and food industry;
- Lankaran. The city's population exceeds 200 thousand people. The city is located in the South-East of the country and is characterized by a humid subtropical climate with dry and hot summer and relatively warm winter season. The city has many museums, sports and cultural institutions, banks and enterprises of the food sector. Near Lankaran opened a small airport;
- Mingelchaur. The city is recognized as the fourth largest population in the country (more than 110 thousand inhabitants). Is on the left and on the right banks of the Kura river, approximately 20 km North-West of the railway line from Baku to Tbilisi with the passage through the Ganja. The city has a meat-packing plant, textile factory, factory of insulating materials. Electricity is produced here on our own hydroelectric power station;
- Naftalan. The town, located about 50 km from Ganja, famous for its medicinal oil, which gave it a name. It is located on the banks of the river, 18 km South of the railway junction Geranium. Summers are very hot, but winters are not severe;
- Sumgait. Its population exceeds 300 thousand people. The city is located in the northwestern part of the Absheron Peninsula on the Caspian shore. Here well-developed chemical, metallurgical, machine-building, light and food industry;
- Nakhichevan. A city with a population of over 70 thousand people is the centre of Nakhchivan. Nakhchivan is famous for its historical monuments, many of which date back to the XVI century – the time of the founding of Nakhichevan and largest airport.
Not yet issued a passport? Now just do it - read here about how to issue a document over the Internet.
Of the attractions of Sumgait worth noting is the theater of water puppet, Museum of history of Sumgait and other cultural institutions.
To the places for which the country is a must see tourist include:
- The Azerbaijani carpet Museumdedicated to the history of ethnic textiles in the country;
- Gandzasar monastery, Dating from the X century and is one of the most beautiful monuments of architecture in Azerbaijan;
- The Gobustan reserve, which with its rock paintings of primitive people, and mud volcanoes is under the protection of UNESCO;
- The Palace of Sheki khans in Seki, which is the original specimen of Oriental architecture;
- The Palace of the Shirvanshahs in Baku, and includes a mosque of the XV century, the bath, the original yard, the tomb and mausoleum of the famous scholar Bakuvi;
- The maiden tower in Baku – the most unusual example of an ancient architecture, covered with a veil of mystery;
- Icheri Sheher – the old picturesque district in the capital of the country;
- Lake Goygol is a very picturesquethe place is rich in flora and fauna;
- Flame towers in Baku the highest building in the country, thanks to evening lighting really reminiscent of flames;
- Yanar Dag – fire slope of the mountain peaks on the Absheron Peninsula due to the beating from under the ground oil geysers;
- Juma mosque in the capital, a refined Eastern style and is a place of pilgrimage for followers of Islam.
Details about the most interesting attractions of the state read in this article.
We recommend you to see the beauty of Baku in this video: