Natural wonders of Russia: photos, names, and description
The Russian Federation refers to those countries on whose territory you can find a huge number of unique natural, architectural and historical monuments. Today you will get acquainted with the sights of Russia on the photos with titles and descriptions.
- Famous places Russia on the map
- Top main tourist attractions - photos
- The most interesting natural and water attractions
- Unusual and rare Russian parts
- For the Russian Federation on the car
- Beauty in the regions of the European part of the country
- The North-Western Federal district
- The Central Federal district
- The charm of southern cities
- The North Caucasian Federal district
- Volga district
- The Asian half of Russia
- Far East
- Seasonal tours
- What to see in autumn and winter?
- Where to go in the spring and summer?
Famous places Russia on the map
In Russia there are about 1100 small and large cities. Each has its notable features.
The country ranks 9th in the world in the number of objects that are monuments of historical heritage, and 4th place natural objects protected by UNESCO.
The most famous and visited cities of the country — Moscow and Saint Petersburg. They are the most famous of the great cultural and architectural monuments. These cities are well known worldwide, but not only is famous for their Russian land.
Top main tourist attractions - photos
According to the Russians, the survey which was conducted in the framework of the project "Russia 10", was identified 10 main attractions of the country. Among them were:
The Kremlin in Veliky Novgorod. This building is one of the oldest in Russia. Feature of the Novgorod Kremlin is not only the uniqueness of its architectural image but also the fact that he is the center of origin of Russian statehood.
The huge territory of Russia and is washed by seas and oceans. Read here coast basins which belongs to the Russian Federation.
The construction of the fortress construction refers to the reign of Ivan III. This period in the history of the state known for its unification of the Russian lands under Moscow. The capital's Kremlin was built later in Novgorod for a year.
Peterhof. The most famous and visited Palace and Park ensemble of the country. Very often you can hear, as it is called Russian Versailles.
This place is just 30 km from St. Petersburg and is connected with the name of Peter. Russian Tsar took an active part in the design and construction of the complex, which became his summer residence. Scores are not repetitive fountains are striking in their grace and beauty.
- St. Basil's Cathedral. The facility is one of the most famous monuments, situated in red square in Moscow. It was built during the reign of Ivan the terrible to commemorate the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan.
- Mamayev Kurgan and the Motherland. Memorial to the battle of Stalingrad was erected in the city of Volgograd. The name of the mound in the invasion of the Tatar-Mongol. On its top was located at that time the Outpost of Khan Mamai. This height is considered important in Russia. Motherland- the center of the ensemble "Heroes of the Stalingrad battle" on Mamaev Kurgan.
- The Cathedral Of Christ The Savior. Moscow Cathedral is the new building, built in 1994-1997. It fully recreates the appearance of the Cathedral, erected in the 19th century in memory of the invasion of Napoleon.
- Solovetsky archipelago. Place, which in Russia is notorious. It is closely associated with various periods in the history of the country. Next to the Parking lot of ancient people located here the monastery's shrines. In the first half of the 20th century on the Preset was created the country's largest labor camp. The Solovetsky Islands are included in the world Heritage List of UNESCO.
- Kizhi. Ethnographic Museum-reserve, located in Karelia, on the Onegathe lake. From Petrozavodsk it is separated by the distance of 68 km away. This is one of the country's largest museums under open sky.
- Smolensk fortress wall. The structure belongs to the period of reign of Boris Godunov. The length of the protective structures is 6.5 km away. the Extant wall is often called the Smolensk Kremlin.
The name of the temple was given on behalf of the Holy fool who was buried in the Cathedral precincts.
Due to the different climatic conditions in Russia you can always find a place to your taste. Read in this articlewhere to go on holiday in winter.
The most recognizable and popular with foreign tourists attractions in Russia was and remains the capital's Kremlin and Red square. In ancient times, the location of these objects in Moscow was called the Borovitsky hill. The memory of it preserved in the name of one of the gates of the Kremlin.
In the 17th century the walls of the Kremlin were the hanging gardens. Now there is a building of the government of the Russian Federation. This is the largest fortress in Europe. The size of the red area is more than 23 thousand m2.
The most interesting natural and water attractions
In Russia there is a huge amount which is amazing in its beauty of nature. Many of them are protected by UNESCO. Seven attractions that deserve special attention:
Virgin Komi forests. This eco-friendly region of the country, which belongs to the Ural taiga. He is in the territory of the Pechora-Ilych nature reserve.
Forest area is 32 thousand km2. It is the national Park "Yugyd VA". In a conservation area home to rare birds and animals. In the forests of the river Pechora, which are found in such fish as salmon, whitefish and burbot.
- Kamchatka volcanoes and geysers. The unique natural object is part of the Pacific ring of fire. About 30 volcanoes in this region are active. Adjacent to the volcanoes of the territory are famous for biological diversity.
- Sikhote-Alin nature reserve. This natural area is located in Primorsky Krai. Here maintain the population of sable, Amur tiger and more than a thousand species of unique plants.
- The Altai mountains. In the region occupied by mountains, often called "Golden", is two nature reserves. They are protected by UNESCO. This area is widely represented by Alpine vegetation and rare animals live. Including snow leopard and mountain goat.
- UVS Nuur basin. The river basin of the UVS is located in the Republic of Tuva, which borders Mongolia. This biosphere reserve on the territory of which, in addition to scenic lake, you can see glaciers, the Northern desert areas of the taiga, Alpine tundra and steppe.
- The Caucasus reserve. A unique place where you can meet bison, deer and even a brown bear. Here are some of the most popular ski resorts in the country. Most of them are concentrated around mount Elbrus.
- The Putorana Plateau. In the UNESCO list this object of nature was made because of the unique combination of different ecosystems. On the territory of the reserve is subtropical and Arctic zones. Lives here is brought in the Red book of Russia the snow leopard and the world's largest population of reindeer.
Kamchatka volcano Klyuchevskaya Sopka is the highest in the whole of Eurasia.
On the territory of the Russian Federation a very large number of lakes, among them many of those that could compete with the Dead sea. Read here about the salt lakes of Russia.
Unusual and rare Russian parts
In Russia there are many amazing places that capture the imagination with its mystery, or its picturesque landscapes. One such natural feature is located in the Komi Republic and was named "Pillars of weathering". Seven blocks of stone, the height of the largest of which reaches 34 meters, stand alone in the middle of the desert plateau. They represent the eroded remnants of ancient mountains.
In the Volgograd region is a salt lake El'ton. Often called the great salt puddle. The area of the reservoir 150 sq. km. in Winter it reaches its maximum depth not exceeding 70 see Tourists come to these places to enjoy the salt landscapes and to improve their health in the healing waters of this lake.
On the Curonian spit in the Kaliningrad region can be seen dancing forest. It consists of trees, with its unusual curved shape.
Unique plants, which is nowhere in the world can be found on the Multinsky lakes, located in the Altai.
Tourists in these far-from-civilization places go in search of picturesque landscapes wildlife.
The dream of many tourists — the Valley of geysers in Kamchatka. This is the largest size area in the world, where are thermal springs. You can see them only from a bird'sflight. Here are helicopter tours. Entrance to the protected area is severely restricted.
For the Russian Federation on the car
The most popular tour route in the country received the name of "Golden ring". He appeared in 60-ies of the last century and is quite popular among Russian and foreign tourists. The ring is a conditional concept. Part of the route includes a visit to the ancient Russian cities, with the age of several centuries.
Its the beginning of the route takes in Moscow. The next visit is the town of Sergiev Posad, known as Zagorsk. The bus ride from Moscow takes about 1.5 hours. In Sergiev Posad is one of the largest monasteries in Russia. He is known as the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. In addition to the monastery , tourists can visit:
- Chernihiv temple with its famous cave Church;
- waterfall gremyachiy;
- the village of Deulino and other historical objects.
Next destination — the town of Pereslavl-Zalessky. It is the birthplace of Alexander Nevsky.
The city is so rich in historical and cultural monuments, that to read them in one day is very difficult.
Here are a few of the monasteries, the boat of Peter the great, blue stone, sacred springs and much more interesting.
After Pereslavl-Zalessky route is sent to Rostov the Great. In the local Kremlin was filmed the famous film about Ivan Vasilyevich changing profession. Nice city and Carskim settlement in which he lived, Alyosha Popovich.
In the next town route, Yaroslavl, tourists visit the headquarters of the Minin and Pozharsky, the children's railway, cathedrals, museums and in the tower.
Ipatiev monastery, the Snowmaiden's Palace and the Marina where the movie "a Cruel romance" visit to Kostroma, and then moved to Ivanovo. City of brides is not as rich in monuments of history and architecture as others, but it is something to see. After the route lies in Suzdal. It is a city-Museum, leave about itself the most pleasant experience.
Final destination of the small ring — Vladimir. In this ancient Russian city, you will discover a lot of amazing places and monuments.
Interesting and informative for those who like to travel by car on roads of Russia can be such routesas "Nizhny Novgorod - Diveevo - Boldino - Saransk - Ulyanovsk", "Veliky Novgorod - Pskov - Saint Petersburg" or "Vologda - Veliky Ustyug - Arkhangelsk".
And in the next article we made a rating of the longest streets of Russia. There you will find a list of the longest and most unusual street names.
Beauty in the regions of the European part of the country
European part of the country is the most densely populated region. There are a large number of towns and attractions that are worth a look.
The North-Western Federal district
The center of this part of the country is Saint Petersburg. It is a city-Museum, the beauty of which sing of the millions who visited it, tourists. Definitely worth a visit:
- The winter Palace;
- Catherine the great's Palace;
- the Church of the Savior on Blood;
- Peter and Paul fortress;
- The Hermitage.
But without this cultural center in the region is something to see.
Popular tourist places of the Vologda region associated with Santa Claus. His residence is in Veliky Ustyug.
Amazing beautiful monasteries can be found in Kirillov (Kirillo-Belozersky) and Ferapontov (Ferapontov Belozersky). In Belozersk Kremlin is surrounded by a large earthen rampart. Here in White lake were down on the water in ancient times the ships of the first Russian fleet.
In the city of tot'ma you can visit the Church, the decorations of which were used cartouches, for example, the entry into Jerusalem to the Church of the Nativity. Cartouches - the elements of decoration in the Baroque style.
Totemskiy cartouches handmade are unique and have artistic and historical value.
Small towns that deserve the attention of tourists in the North-West of the country quite a lot. This Torzhok, Kargapole, Kizhi. The nature of this region is harsh, but amazingly beautiful. Here you can find a large number of places to stay in Valday, the Onega, the Volga river or on the shore of the Arctic ocean.
The Central Federal district
The main city of the Central Russia— Moscow. It is surrounded by cities that can boast of its Museum-estates. Great popularity among tourists of the estate Maryino, Yasnaya Polyana, Aseeva, Khrapovitsky, and many others. In this region there are historical memorials, dedicated to the historical battles - Borodino, Kulikovo field.
The most visited tourists citiessteel:
- Kolomna - the Old-Golutvin monastery, Kolomna Kremlin, Museum of pastila, Pyatnitsky gates;
- Smolensk - railway station, Smolensk fortress, the Blonie garden;
- Belgorod - stele "City of military glory", assumption-St. Nicholas Cathedral, the Museum-diorama "battle of Kursk";
- Kaluga is a stone bridge, government Offices, guest house, drama theatre, Church of saints Cosmas and Damian;
- Tula Museum of gingerbread, monument "Tula gingerbread", the Estate of count Bobrinsky.
Camping is popular here in the vicinity of rivers such as Volga, Oka, hopper. On the territory of Khopersky nature reserve is located approximately 400 lakes.
In the Tula region on the territory of the estate is Bobrinsky Bogorodskiy Museum-reserve.
The charm of southern cities
Resorts of Southern Russia always warm and welcoming: the black sea coast - in Sochi, Gelendzhik, Anapa, the main city of the Azov — Eysk, Temryuk, Taman. The most popular holiday destination on the coast is Sochi. The total number of visitors annually to the resort of tourists more than 13 million people.
Among the attractions of this region it can be noted Novocherkassk Cathedral and the Astrakhan Kremlin. A cult place to visit for lovers of Russian literature is the village of Veshenskaya in the Rostov region. A large number of historical excavations located in the Krasnodar Krai.
The North Caucasian Federal district
Especially popular in this region are the resorts located in the area of the Caucasian Mineral Waters. They all surround Elbrus. This five well-known cities:
- Essentuki - the theatre square, the building of the "Theatre Park", Gallery of spring no 17, the bathing building of the Emperor Nicholas II;
- Nalchik - Central Park, Chegem waterfalls, Elbrus, the Palace of celebrations Elbrus, blue lakes;
- Mineral water - the Cathedral of the Holy virgin, city railway station, house of the writer bibika mountain Snake;
- Pyatigorsk Park "Flower garden", the grotto of Diana, baths of Pushkin, Lermontov grotto, the place of duel of Lermontov, lake "Failure", mount Mashuk;
- Kislovodsk Museum-estate of Shalyapin, the former summer cottages Kseshinskaya, Brezhnev, Mirror lake, and the Castle of treachery and love.
Special attraction of the Chechen Republic mosque "Heart of Chechnya". It is built in the center of Grozny.
A special pride of the region - Park of Kislovodsk with its Narzan gallery and the rose valley.
The most beautiful city of the region - Nizhny Novgorod and Kazan. Nizhny Novgorod fair and the Kazan Kremlin are well-known to tourists from many countries. Among the attractions of the region: the Shikhany, a mosque of Kul Sharif, the Museum-reserve "Idnakar", Kungur ice cave and others.
The Asian half of Russia
The Asian part of the country is divided into three large areas — the Urals, Siberia and the far East. Each of them amazing and attractive in their own way.
That is well worth a visit in the Urals — Tobolsk. This ancient Russian city known as the place of exile of the Decembrists. You can visit the prison castle, a tourist complex "Abalak", the house where lived the Royal family and much more.
Nature lovers should visit Verkhotursk and the reserve Arkaim is a fortified settlement of the middle bronze age of the turn of III—II Millennium BC.
Many interesting things can be found in Yekaterinburg:
- The temple-on-Blood;
- keyboard monument;
- Nature Museum of the Urals;
- Sevastyanov's house;
- such as Rastorguyev-Kharitonov Palace;
- The Opera and ballet theatre.
And you know what the longest city in Russia? Here is the ranking of the most extensive settlements.
The main attraction of the region is lake Baikal, with an area of 31 500 km2. On the coast there are many resorts and rest houses where you can spend time in peace and tranquility.
Interesting places to visit are the zoo, Biryusinsk cave, Tomsk reserve "Pisanitsa" and Krasnoyarsk "Stolby".
On the border of Eastern and Western Siberia, on the Yenisei river is the pearl of the region - the Sayano-Shushenskaya HPP. Admire the majestic buildings of the Observatory, it is also possible to visit the Museum.
The main attraction of the Far East - it is his nature - numerous national parks and reserves, lakes and rivers, the black volcanic beaches.
A special attraction for tourists may represent the coast of the Pacific ocean, Kamchatkavolcanoes and geysers, the port of Nakhodka, with a wonderfully picturesque Bay, Sakhalin with its amazing mountain ranges and Islands.
We should also mention the Valley of death - anomalous zone, where swamps and impenetrable thickets conceal in its depths traces of ancient cataclysms and boilers, which has an alien origin. The boilers look pretty scary - diameter from 6 up to 9 meters, the walls are covered with an unknown metal, which for many years can neither break nor melt.
In Russia there are places that interesting to visit at any time of the year. It's cities like Saint Petersburg, Moscow and Sochi. The active tourist life of these cities does not stop never.
There is in Russia such places, peaks which depend on the time of year.
What to see in autumn and winter?
Early autumn in Russia is best done in the resorts of the Crimea, the Krasnodar region and in the middle belt of the country. Winter time skiing. Mountain resorts can be found in any region of Russia:
- Free in the Moscow region;
- Beaver Log in Krasnoyarsk region;
- Dombay - Stavropol Krai and Karachay-Cherkessia;
- Zaviyaliha in Chelyabinsk region;
- Krasnaya Polyana in Krasnodar region;
- Sheregesh in the Kemerovo region.
Where to go in the spring and summer?
The best places in spring vacation - resorts of the Crimea and the Northern Caucasus. Weather in this period of time is great for Hiking in the mountains, Spa treatment and sightseeing.
Summer — time beach vacation. Those who cannot handle the heat better to rest in Karelia, on the Volga river or the lake.
What are the places to stay in Russia to choose, everyone decides for themselves. In every corner of the country, he will discover many amazing and interesting.
We encourage you to watch a video review of the best attractions in Russia: